It is helpful to know if you have a Carer (someone who takes on an unpaid caring role) or if you are a Carer for someone else. We have a page dedicated to Carers where you can also register with us as a carer so we can provide you with additional support.
Abbey Meads Medical Group offers a range of services. They include:
- Early and late surgeries - On hold
- Management of chronic diseases e.g. Asthma, Diabetes - Telephone reviews continue(some services on hold)
- Family planning - Telephone reviews continue (some services on hold)
- Contraception & Sexual Health - Telephone reviews continue
- Cervical Cytology (Smears) - Smears for high risk patients will continue, please contact us if due and we will assess
- Ante Natal & Post Natal Care - To continue
- Child health surveillance- To continue
- Immunisations- To continue
- Stop smoking advice - On hold
- Joint injections - Individuals will be risk assessed by a clinician before being given an appointment
- Occupational Health- On hold
- Health promotion- On hold
- Travel Vaccinations- On hold
The District Nurse team attached to the Practice provides support, nursing care and advice at home for patients who are elderly or terminally ill and those unable to get to the surgery to see a Practice Nurse.
District Nurses visit patients at the request of the doctor or the hospital.
The attached Health Visitor team works with children and their families, to support and advise on issues such as child development and behaviour. They offer anti-natal support and can advise on post-natal depression and are available during normal working hours either on a one-to-one basis, within the groups or at child health clinics.
Health Visitors are based at Abbey Meads Medical Practice and Penhill Surgery.
Our very experienced mental health care worker, provides support and care to patients with a mental health problem and ensures they are given the most appropriate help. In support our mental health care worker has the services of a number of Counsellors.
Midwives are responsible for the care of a woman during and after pregnancy and for the new baby from 10 and up to 28 days old.They advise on contraception, breast-feeding and all aspects of caring for a new baby.
They also arrange parent craft classes for expectant couples.
Our Practice Nurse offers the following services:
- Asthma - Telephone reviews will continue
- Blood Pressure Checks - Routine BP checks on hold
- CHD - Routine CHD checks on hold
- Diabetes Review - Telephone reviews will continue
- First aid advice, Blood and Urine Tests, Dressings, removal of stitches etc - To continue
- Ear syringing - On hold
- Adult and Childhood Immunisations - To continue
- Travel Immunisations - On hold
- Stopping Smoking - On hold
- Cervical Smears / Contraception Services - Smears for high risk patients will continue, contact us if due and we will assess
- Family Planning - Telephone reviews will continue
- Health Promotion - On hold
- New Patient Health Checks - On hold
- Advice on Diet - On hold
- Post Natal Exams - To continue
- Spirometry (lung function tests) - On hold
Nurse Specialist Clinics
The Practice Nurses have specialist training in the management of asthma, respiratory and chest conditions, diabetes, hypertension, heart disease and stroke. It is important for long term care that patients should attend at least once a year for monitoring. Please make an appointment when your review is due, you do not need to wait for an invitation.
Medical Examinations (Non-NHS)
Certain services provided by the Doctors are not covered by the NHS and fees are payable for such items as:
- HGV & PSV licences - To continue
- Elderly driver licences - On hold
- Insurance - On hold
- Pre-employment medicals - On hold
- Private certificates - On hold
- Holiday vaccinations - On hold
- Insurance claims - On hold
- Fitness for sports - On hold
Please ask the receptionist for such services. Charges are payable at the time of attendance, and the BMA recommended scale of fees is on display at the reception desk. For further information please see Why do GP’s charge?
A current list of fees is available here. It you have any queries regarding these, please enquire at Reception.
Medical Certificates - To continue
Self-certificates are available from your employer for sickness of up to one week. Any certificate required from the Doctor for periods up to the first week can only be provided as a private certificate for which there is a charge.
This service is currently on hold
Going Traveling? Not sure what vaccines you need? Not sure if your already covered?