It is helpful to know if you have a Carer (someone who takes on an unpaid caring role) or if you are a Carer for someone else. We have a page dedicated to Carers where you can also register with us as a carer so we can provide you with additional support.
Abbey Meads Medical Group offers a range of services. They include:
- Early and late surgeries On hold
- Management of chronic diseases. For example Asthma and Diabetes Telephone reviews continue(some services on hold)
- Family planning Restarted
- Contraception and Sexual Health Restarted
- Cervical Cytology (Smears) Restarted
- Antinatal and Postnatal Care Restarted
- Child health surveillance To continue
- Immunisations To continue
- Stop smoking advice Restarted
- Joint injections Individuals will be risk assessed by a clinician before being given an appointment
- Occupational Health On hold
- Health promotion On hold
- Travel VaccinationsOn hold
The District Nurse team attached to the Practice provides support, nursing care and advice at home for patients who are elderly or terminally ill and those unable to get to the surgery to see a Practice Nurse.
District Nurses visit patients at the request of the doctor or the hospital.
The attached Health Visitor team works with children and their families, to support and advise on issues such as child development and behaviour. They offer antinatal support and can advise on post-natal depression and are available during normal working hours either on a one to one basis, within the groups or at child health clinics.
Health Visitors are based at Abbey Meads Medical Practice and Penhill Surgery.
Our very experienced mental health care worker, provides support and care to patients with a mental health problem and ensures they are given the most appropriate help. In support our mental health care worker has the services of a number of Counsellors.
Midwives are responsible for the care of a woman during and after pregnancy and for the new baby from 10 and up to 28 days old.They advise on contraception, breast feeding and all aspects of caring for a new baby.
They also arrange parent craft classes for expectant couples.
Our Practice Nurse offers the following services:
- Asthma Telephone reviews will continue
- Blood Pressure Checks Restarted
- Coronary Heart Disease (CHD) Routine CHD checks on hold
- Diabetes Review Restarted
- First aid advice, Blood and Urine Tests, Dressings, removal of stitches etc To continue
- Ear syringing On hold
- Adult and Childhood ImmunisationsTo continue
- Travel ImmunisationsOn hold
- Stopping Smoking On hold
- Cervical Smears / Contraception Services Restarted
- Family Planning Restarted
- Health Promotion On hold
- New Patient Health Checks On hold
- Advice on Diet On hold
- Post Natal Exams To continue
- Spirometry (lung function tests) On hold
Nurse Specialist Clinics
The Practice Nurses have specialist training in the management of asthma, respiratory and chest conditions, diabetes, hypertension, heart disease and stroke. It is important for long term care that patients should attend at least once a year for monitoring. Please make an appointment when your review is due, you do not need to wait for an invitation.
Going Traveling? Not sure what vaccines you need? Not sure if your already covered?
See Travel Health and Immunisations for further information.